The #EndSARS Campaign is now in its second week, following the huge support and endorsement the demonstrations have received both locally and internationally.
The campaign is for the abolition of the Special Anti Robbery Squad, SARS, a unit of the Nigerian police Force over incessant abuse of Nigerians, extortions and extra Judicial killings.
But amidst the huge show of supports for the movement, there appears to be a line voice calling for the #EndSARS Campaign to be halted.
It’s very easy to join the bandwagon and go with the tide, especially if it is a popular one. The #EndSARS campaign has gotten tremendous backing and endorsement from far and near, so nobody would begrudge any group or individual supporting the movement.
But the Northern Governors Forum in its characteristics manner of playing the Ostrich, has strongly opposed the #EndSARS protest, saying the supposed anti robbery group has performed well in the North combating insecurity.
In a Communique issued on behalf of the governors of the 19 states, it’s chairman and Governor of Plateau state, Simon Lalong opposed wholesale disbandment of SARS.
They argued that the unit, under the auspices of the Nigeria Police, had been doing a job in the fight against insecurity in the region.
The Forum said what was needed was reformation of the police unit to enable it carry out its functions optimally. He, however, conceded that there were divisions in the country regarding the continued existence of the unit.
It’s not surprising that the Governors of the North are being cheeky with the ENDSARS issue. The North usually don’t share the sentiment of the South; they are against restructuring and constitutional review, they sort of derive pleasure in having a contrary view with their Southern counterparts.
You don’t believe SARS should be banned, yet it should be reformed? What is wrong with it then? SARS operatives have done well in the region, still, the North is the biggest hit with security challenges in the county? And the convoy of Babagana Zulum of Borno state was attacked twice within weeks by arm militias
Buhari government still defiant on the #EndSARS Campaign
The federal government over the weekend remained defiant on the #EndSARS protest, insisting that it won’t tallow anarchy to thrive in the name of protest.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed said Saturday’s assassination attempt on the Osun Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola while addressing the protesters was a clear confirmation that the protests had been hijacked by hoodlums and people with ulterior agenda.
He added that the Conveners of the protest have lost control, adding that it has become obvious that they were no longer in control of the initiative. He noted that the federal government would not hesitate to rein in on the protesters to forestall anarchy.
In conclusion, the #EndSARS protest nationwide have been relatively peaceful and law abiding, the conveners should ensure it maintain the momentum and prevent it from being hijacked by fifth columnists.
On the part of the government, peaceful protests are allowed and welcomed in any virile democracy, hence the government should listen to the demands of the protesters and work on modalities aimed at improving law enforcement in the country. It’s now or never.