Contrary to report, no one died in New Benin machete attack, says Edo police

This is a Trial Version of Social Share & Locker Pro plugin. Please add your purchase code into Licence section to enable the Full Social Share & Locker Pro Version.

Police in Edo State said no one was killed in New Benin on Saturday, 11 June 2022, contrary to several posts on social media.

Social media was agog with the news of a man who was allegedly macheted by an unidentified man, leading to protests and disorderliness in the area.

The Edo State Police Public Relations Officer SP Chidi Nwabuzor explained that no one was killed as both the victim and perpetrator of the incident are currently at an undisclosed hospital in Benin.

According to the police report, an unidentified man attacked and inflicted bodily injuries on Mr Anthony Jibunor, a resident of 116 Million Road, Benin City.

Police were called to the venue - a tactical team and patrol team from various police divisional headquarters were deployed.

Police said upon their arrival, an angry mob had taken to the street, halting activities with the alleged attacker being lynched.

The police added, "The contingent of policemen dispatched to the scene met the assailants who were already in the hands of an angry mob that beat the hell out of him and the victim who the assailant brutally cut with a cutlass.

"The assailant and his victim were rescued from the angry mob, and both of them were taken to undisclosed hospitals (for security reasons) for medical treatment. The good news so far is that both the victim and the assailant are in good stable medical condition."

SP denied the report that the victim's death led to an angry mob taking over the street.

"It is worthy of emphasis to clear the air that the assailant's identity is yet unknown as regarding his name, address, tribe and family inclination," the Police PRO added.

Meanwhile, the police commissioner, CP Abutu Yaro, has expressed sympathy to the victim and his family and wished him a speedy recovery.

CP Yaro pleaded to residents to remain calm and "avoid anything act capable of causing a breach of public peace", warning that "the command would stop at nothing in arresting and prosecuting any offender.

He warned those encouraging "jungle justice" to beware, noting that "no one has the right to take the life of a fellow human being" while encouraging aggrieved residents to report to the nearest police station for investigation.

Meanwhile, the Head of Local Government Administration for Oredo local government council, Mr Kessington Osifo, has promised to pick up the hospital bill of the victim.

Osifo called for calm and thanked God that no life was lost in the incident.

A local government delegation is in touch with the injured man's family.

©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Translate »