On Friday, 03 September 2021, a five-storey building collapsed in Kinoo, Nairobi neighbourhood, rendering many homeless.
No deaths and injuries have been reported.
Eyewitnesses told the Standard Gazette that there were cracks on the house on Thursday, indicating that it was just a matter of time before it comes down.
Residents alerted the owner, who failed to respond at all.
Masons at the site said they noticed structural problems and notified the owner, but they were dismissed.
The area member of the County Assembly disclosed that the building owner ignored a notice issued to him by Kiambu County Government to stop adding another floor to the building.
Police have cordoned off the site so far, and experts have noted that the building must be brought down.
Last week, nine people died, and another person was injured after a crane crumbled at a construction site in Hurlingham, Nairobi.
The construction project was being undertaken by a Chinese.
Another three people were killed in the same week after a building they were constructing collapsed in Gachie, central Kenya. More than ten people were injured during the incident.©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.