Gun attack on Emir of Kano: We’re closing in on more suspects —Police, SSS
The Police and the State Security Service (SSS) say they have made appreciable progress in their investigation of last Saturday’s gun attack on the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero.
Four persons, including the Emir’s driver and palace guards, died in the attack, while two of his sons were wounded.
Alhaji Bayero and his two sons on Sunday flew to the United Kingdom for medical attention in the aftermath of the attack.
Deputy Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Frank Mba, who spoke to our correspondent on the telephone yesterday confirmed that some suspects are already in the police net and that the findings of the investigation will be made public at the appropriate time.
Spokesperson for the SSS, Ms. Marilyn Ogar, also said on the phone yesterday that the operatives of the Service is on the trail of more suspects.
“All I can tell you is that some suspects are being held over the incident and security operatives are still on the trail of others in an operation that started immediately after attack”, Ogar stated.
Sources informed our correspondents that some suspects were brought to Abuja from Kano Tuesday night and have been undergoing interrogation.
Mba said the police are keeping quiet on the investigation so far in view of the sensitive nature of the case and its wider implications for the public.
Revelation on the investigation at this point,according to him,is capable of jeopardising the entire process, stressing that because of the personality involved, any clue for now must be closely guarded.
The police spokesman appealed to the public not to hesitate to volunteer any information that could be useful to the team of investigators. He pledged that such information would be treated with uttermost confidence.
Kano State Deputy Governor, Alhaji Umar Ganduje, announced on Sunday that some suspects had been arrested in connection with the attack. But he did not say how many people were arrested.
Although no group has claimed responsibility for the attack in which Improvised Explosive Device (IED) and gunshots were used, the pattern of the assault bore the imprints of the Boko Haram sect.
Meanwhile, the Kano Emirate Council yesterday threw its weight behind the state government on its ban on commercial motorcycles following the attack on the Emir.
Alhaji Abbas Sanusi, Wamban Kano, told reporters at the palace that the government action was in the right direction.
The Wamban declared that even before the attack on the Emir, commercial motorcycles were regularly used to perpetrate crimes in the state.
He described the ban as timely and good for the security of the people.
He called for public support for the ban.
But he pleaded with the government to provide alternative jobs for some of the commercial motorcyclists who may have lost their means of livelihood by the action of the government.©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.