It has now been revealed that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State actually ordered the group of soldiers that killed some #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Gate shooting last week Tuesday.
There have been back and forth between Governor Sanwo-Olu and the Nigerian Army on who ordered the military to open fire on protesters.
Sanwo-Olu had days after the incident sighted “powers beyond his control” for being responsible for the heinous incident, adding that he had nothing to do with the killing
. On Tuesday evening while speaking with CNN, the governor blamed the army for the killing of protesters in Lekki.
He said, “From the footage that we can see, there are cameras at that facility. It seems to me that there were men in military uniform, should be Nigerian Army.”
“So you’re saying that it was Military officers who ordered peaceful protesters to be shot in lekki?” Yes, they were there. That’s what it shows.”
But in now appears that the Army has contradicted the governor by insisting that Governor Sanwo-Olu ordered them to kill protesters.
According to the soldiers, who were deployed from 65 Battalion, Bonny Camp, Victoria Island, Lagos, they reportedly told some of the victims’ relatives after dumping them at MRS Hospital that they were sent by Governor Sanwo-Olu.
“They came in two Hilux vans with atleast eight bodies. Some were still alive when they returned. They dumped them at MRS Hospital. They told us clearly that it was Governor Sanwo-Olu that sent them,” a brother to one of the victims, told SaharaReporters.