There have been reports of several fatalities in a firearms incident in Plymouth.
Devon and Cornwall's Police said other casualties are receiving treatment.
The suspected gunman has been shot dead, according to Sky News.
The incident happened in Biddick Drive, Keyham.
In a tweet on Thursday, Johnny Mercer, MP for Plymouth, Moor View, said the suspect is not on the run, and the incident is "not terror-related."
According to Devon and Cornwall's statement, "Police were called to a serious firearms incident in Biddick Drive, in the Keyham area of Plymouth at around 6.10 pm today [Thursday, August 12].
"Officers and ambulance staff attended. There have been a number of fatalities at the scene, and several other casualties are receiving treatment.
"A critical incident has been declared. The area has been cordoned off and Police believe the situation is contained.
"Road closures are in place, so please avoid the area. "We are appealing to the public no,t to speculate or share pictures of the scene on social media or anywhere else."
Mr Mercer tweeted: "The incident is not terror-related, and neither is the suspect on the run in Plymouth.
"Remain calm. It is for the Police to confirm further details. Do not repost chatter or gossip; work with them. We have the best cops in the land."
MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, Luke Pollard, said it looks like a rough day for "our city and our community."
Ambulance service from the South Western arrived at Keyham just around 6pm on Thursday.
The Ambulance service tweeted, "We responded to the incident with a significant number of resources, including Hazardous Area Response Teams (HART), multiple ambulances, air ambulances, multiple doctors and senior paramedics.
"We will provide an update here in due course."
A critical incident had been declared and the area cordoned off.
M16 Rogue tweeted a video of the incident, advising residents to stay away from the area.
The Home Secretary, Priti Patel described the incident as "shocking".
She sent her thoughts to those affected. "I have spoken to the Chief Constable and offered my full support. I urge everyone to remain calm, follow police advice and allow our emergency services to get on with their jobs," she tweeted.©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.