The Standard Gazette
Online Daily News Portal | Online Newspapers

Missing Journalist Found Dead in Anambra Four Days After

A photo journalist in Anambra state, Ikechukwu Onubogu, has been found dead four days after he was declared missing by members of his family.

CoffinsOnubogu, a cameraman with the Anambra Broadcasting Service (ABS), was said to be at home with his wife that fateful afternoon, when he received a phone call and hurriedly left with his camera, but never returned.

Daily trust gathered that his remains which had since been deposited at the Amaku Teaching Hospital, Awka, were reportedly discovered on Thursday by men of the Nigerian Police Force at Obosi, near Onitsha.

Reacting, the Managing Director of ABS, Mr Uche Nworah, described late Onubogu as a peace loving and hardworking man that “you would never expect that anybody would want to harm him.”

Nwora, in a statement, said the horrific death of his staff, has thrown the entire ABS family into mourning, saying he would surely be missed.

“He was dedicated to his job and would do anything to capture images that will help viewers to make meaning of every developing story.

“We cannot speculate at this time the circumstances leading to his death as the police is already working hard to unravel what happened.

“Our thoughts remain with his family, particularly his wife, who recently gave birth,” the statement said.

He said Onubogu’s death was a reminder of the dangers journalists face in Africa, in the course of discharging their professional responsibilities.

He urged friends, colleagues and associates of late Onubogu to remember the family in their prayers, in their difficult time.

Confirming the incident, the state Police/Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Nkeiru Nwode, said investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death had commenced.

While commiserating with the family, she assured the public that the police would uncover Onobogu’s killers.

“The police has commenced investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death. We assure the public that no stone would be left unturned until the perpetrators are brought to justice,” Nwode said.