Rashidi Ladoja, the Osi Olubadan of Ibadanland and former governor of Oyo, believes the debate about the Olubadan’s succession is pointless.
Following the death of Saliu Adetunji on Sunday, the regal throne became vacant.
Despite the fact that the royal succession system recognizes Lekan Balogun, a former senator and current Otun Olubadan, as the next in line. Michael Lana, a former state attorney general, has declared Balogun is unqualified for the role.
Lana alleged in a letter to the Oyo administration that Balogun and other high chiefs anointed by the late Abiola Ajimobi, the state’s immediate past governor, in 2017 have no claim to the Olubadan kingdom.
Only Ladoja, the most powerful chief in Ibadan at the time, refused to be crowned.On Thursday, Ladoja addressed the situation, saying that while he has nothing against Balogun’s decision, he recommended him and other high chiefs to drop a court action they had filed.
“There is no controversy about it. Lekan Balogun is the most senior in our line and so he is the next in line to the throne,” he said.
“For those asking, my body and mouth language are that egbon Lekan is my senior and he is next in line to the Olubadan stool.
“In 2017, we instituted a case to challenge the needless reform that Ajimobi wanted to do. Almost all of us as high chiefs and members of the Olubadan-in-council agreed to the filing of a suit to challenge him and we gave the task to Michael Lana.
“Lana later called me to say some of the high chiefs told him to remove their names from the suit, leaving only Balogun and myself. Two weeks after we started the case, Balogun said he was no longer interested in the case.
“We won the case at the state high court and Ajimobi appealed. In a judgment, the appeal court, a few days to the exit of Ajimobi from the government, sent the case back to the high court for retrial.
“By the time, there had been a new government headed by Makinde who said he did not want the distraction of the suit and called for out-of-court settlement which we agreed to and did.
“After the terms of the settlement were agreed to, the court gave a consent judgment based on the terms. But they said they were not happy and instituted two fresh cases which are still in court till today.
“So, I need people to understand that I am not causing any trouble. The cases that are in court today in respect of the Obaship tussle were instituted by Balogun and his colleagues who are still calling themselves Obas.
“It is they that the people should talk to. Let them go and withdraw the cases they instituted. I don’t like the unwarranted tension this matter is generating.”©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.