After the collapse of a 21-storey building located in Gerrard road in Ikoyi, and over 40 bodies recovered so far, Lagos state Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, immediately inaugurated a tribunal to probe the collapse of the storey building.
However, there were reports circulating on social media that adjoining high rise buildings will be demolished.
In a statement on Wednesday, Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotosho said an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the two buildings and therefore, it is wrong to speculate that the buildings will be demolished.
“The Panel of Inquiry instituted into the collapse of the building has continued to sit, and an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the two buildings. It is, therefore, wrong to assert or speculate that the buildings will be demolished,” he said.
“The operation at the site of the collapsed building continues. Vehicular movement around the site has been smooth, following the reopening of the road.
“Two more bodies were recovered from the site today. The recovery of the two bodies has brought to 45 the number of bodies retrieved from the site.
“The identification of bodies of the victims of the incident has continued at IDH, Yaba, Lagos Mainland. Thirty-two families have come forward to submit samples for DNA to identify bodies that they wish to claim. In cases where identification is clear and there are no arguments, the bodies will be released to the families.”
He also noted that a committee comprising senior officials of the ministries of health and justice has started working on the identification and release of the bodies.©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.