Email: [email protected]
The police in Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital, may quiz the management of a government health centre that was invaded at the weekend by suspected ritualists.
They said the management was yet to report the incident to the police.
Five gunmen, believed to be ritualists, invaded the government hospital at Irona in Ado-Ekiti, demanding a day-old baby.
Police spokesman Victor Babayemi said the command had told some detectives to look into the incident.
Babayemi said: “We expected the hospital’s management to lodge a complaint at a nearby (police) station, but uptill now, no such step has been taken. In the light of this, we want to ask the management why it failed to report the incident, considering its veracity. No official report was made by the medical officials on the incident.”
Activities resumed at the health centre yesterday. The Nation learnt that the attack was the third on the hospital by hoodlums in the last one year.
An official of the health centre, who pleaded for anonymity, said: “This is not the first time this has happened. Robbers have invaded the health centre about three times, but they have always demanded money. The last time they came, they collected around N85,000 from the nurses and other medical personnel.
“But Saturday’s invasion was different because the hoodlums did not ask for money. They kept shouting ‘where is the new born baby, the newborn’.
“Luckily, we had discharged the only woman, who just had a baby. That was what saved us.”
There are conflicting reports about the presence of a night guard at the health centre. Some said the guard died recently; others said he left because Ado-Ekiti Local Government Council was not paying his salary regularly.
The centre’s fence is low and can easily be scaled.
It was learnt that cement blocks had been bought to raise the fence and work would begin today.
Ado-Ekiti Local Government Chairman Tope Olanipekun directed that night duty be suspended at the centre until the work is completed.