Shot Man Seeks N200m From Nigerian Navy

An operation manager with Yusmed Oil and Gas Company, Atom Zaga, who was shot by unidentified naval personnel has filed a N200 million suit against the Chief of Naval Staff and three others before a Lagos High Court.

Others sued along with the naval chief are: the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Commanding Officer Nigerian Naval Beecroft Naval Base and unknown naval officer.

In a Motion on Notice for enforcement of his fundamental human rights brought Pursuant to Order 2 Rule 1 of the Fundamental Human Rights Enforcement Procedure Rule 2009, filed by his lawyer, D Z Sarauta, the applicant is demanding for N200 million being aggravated and exemplary damages.

Besides, the applicant is praying the court for a declaration that the unlawful gun shot on him by the 4th respondent (unknown naval personnel) has reduced him to a condition of disability.

He is also asking the court to declare that the unknown naval personnel that shot him did so without provocation.

In a 32-page affidavit in support deposed to by the applicant, he averred that on February, 2012 at about 4:00pm, a customer called him on phone and requested for a sample of Kerosene product from his company for laboratory analysis to enable him buy in large quantity.

He further said that, while he was rushing to the depot at Capital Oil and Gas Limited to obtain sample of the product when he noticed tanker drivers protesting against the action of naval personnel who allegedly broke the windscreen of a lorry.

He averred that while passing through the crowd to gain access to Capital Oil, he heard gunshots and suddenly saw himself on the floor in pool of blood as the second shot fired by the naval personnel was directed at him.

He further stated that the naval personnel that shot him came to his rescue but when he discovered that he was losing much blood he horridly abandoned him and ran away.

He stated that the Divisional Police Officer in charge of Trinity Police Division visited the scene of the incident and rushed him to Faleti Medical Centre.
The applicant further added that he paid his medical bills without assistance from anybody and was discharged on February 16, 2012.

He stated that when he was discharged from the hospital he could not go to specialist hospital for further treatment for his broken fractures as he could not afford the bill.

He added that the injury he sustained from the gun shot has confined him to sick bed from February till date adding that the respondents have refused to take care of him.

He said the injury he sustained has rendered him jobless as he lost his means of livelihood.

The trial judge, Justice Doris Okuwobi has adjourned the matter till May 19 for mention.


©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More