Student Commits Suicide After Losing Fees to Online Betting

Reading Time: 2 minutes

In a heart-wrenching turn of events, Samuel Adegoke, a National Diploma II student of Electrical Electronic Engineering at the Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State, has reportedly taken his own life. The incident unfolded when Adegoke, burdened by a significant financial loss, consumed a chemical substance.

images 11 5 Student Commits Suicide After Losing Fees to Online Betting

The dire circumstances leading to this devastating act involved the loss of his own school fees and that of a close friend due to online betting.

According to reliable sources, the deceased student engaged in online gambling with his school fees on Friday, only to face a crushing defeat. As the weekend came to an end and Monday approached, his fellow classmates were gearing up for their eagerly anticipated first-semester examinations. It was during this pivotal time that Adegoke’s despair reached its breaking point, culminating in his decision to end his own life.

To compound the tragedy, Adegoke had also managed to deceive his roommate by acquiring access to his friend’s password, subsequently utilizing his friend’s fees for gambling purposes. Unfortunately, luck eluded him once again, leading to the loss of his roommate’s funds as well.

The institution had previously issued a stern warning that no student would be permitted to take their exams without completing the mandatory registration process. Consequently, the mounting pressure to fulfill this requirement added to Adegoke’s despair.

In a desperate bid to save his life, Adegoke was urgently rushed to the school clinic for immediate medical attention. However, recognizing the severity of his condition, the clinic staff promptly referred him to a specialized hospital located outside the school premises in Ilaro. Tragically, despite the efforts of medical professionals, Adegoke was pronounced dead shortly after his admission.

Deputy Registrar and Public Relations Officer of the school, Sola Abiala, confirmed the incident and expressed his condolences. In a conversation with our correspondent, Abiala revealed that Adegoke tragically passed away on Monday morning, just as his fellow students were preparing to commence their exams.

The specialist hospital, to which he was swiftly transferred, revealed that Adegoke had ingested a chemical substance, a devastating revelation shedding light on the cause of his untimely demise.

The news of Samuel Adegoke’s suicide has sent shockwaves throughout the institution and the wider community. It serves as a poignant reminder of the alarming consequences that excessive gambling and financial strain can have on vulnerable individuals.

©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Translate »