Email: [email protected]
Suspected Boko Haram members have beheaded 43 farmers in North-Eastern Nigeria, several sources report.
Sixty (60) farmers were hired to harvest rice in the rice field. members of the dreaded Boko Haram slaughtered 43 and wounded the remaining six, one of the vigilante’s members, Ibrahim Liman told AFP on Saturday.
Liman said the victims came from Sokoto State to find work in Borno State where they, unfortunately, met their fate.
According to the report, the suspected terrorist group tied up their victims before slitting their throats in Zabarmari, Jere Local Government in Maiduguri, the state capital.
The town is 20 kilometres away from where the Nigerian government stationed operation Lafiya Dole Command, a local news report.
AFP cites a village leader Babakura Kolo as saying that “We have recovered 43 dead bodies, all of them slaughtered, along with six others with serious injuries.’
The Nigerian government and the local police have both confirmed the attack.
The government said it has launched operatives after the assailants.
Nigeria government is battling to curtail the atrocities of Boko Haram and the splinter group Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) in northeast Nigeria.
Since 2009, Boko Haram has killed tens of thousands of innocent Nigerians, mostly farmers, students and religious groups.
One of the persons who helped the survivors, Kolo said on Saturday that “It is no doubt the [work] of Boko Haram who operate in the area and frequently attack farmers.”
Kolo also said that eight others may have been kidnapped by the attackers.
The headless bodies of the victims have been taken to the village where they would be buried on Sunday according to Islamic rites, a resident Mala Bunu said.
It is known that Boko Haram target farmers. Last month, 22 farmers working on their irrigation in their farmlands were slaughtered by the sect in two separate attacks near Maiduguri.
The President of Nigeria has “expressed grief” through the usual channel over the killing of the farmers.
In a statement signed by the government Senior Special Assistant, Garba Shehu, the President said has “given all the needed support to the armed forces to take all necessary steps to protect the country’s population and territory.”
He “condemn the killing of our hardworking farmers by terrorists in Borno State. The entire country is hurt by these senseless killings. My thoughts are with their families in this time of grief. May their souls Rest In Peace.”