2023 Election: Coalition of Northern Groups Obtain APC presidential forms for Goodluck Jonathan
Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has obtained the presidential nomination and expression of interest forms.
If the news is confirmed, it indicates he may have dumped the major opposition.
The form was purchased by a coalition of northern groups from the International Conference Centre in Abuja on Monday.
Though Jonathan has yet to publicly declare his interest in the 2023 general election, if he accepts the form, it would be a message to his supporters across the nation that he would be joining the APC leaders who had already declared.
A few days ago, Mr Jonathan refused to answer questions from his supporters, who went to his Abuja residence to query if he was joining the race.
He had told his supporters, “You are calling me to come and declare for the next election. I cannot tell you I’m declaring.
“The political process is ongoing. Just watch out.
“The key role you must play is to pray that Nigeria gets somebody that carries the young people along — somebody that can also work very hard to see that some of the problems are addressed by the government, and I believe, collectively, we will work together.”
Though lost to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, Jonathan’s influence in Nigeria politics still cut across the country as many urged him to rerun amid the current failed administration.
If he declares, he will be running against APC bigwigs like Bola Tinubu, Kayode Fayemi, Yemi Osinbajo, Rotimi Amaechi, Yahaya Bello, and Rotimi Amaechi, among others.
Jonathan’s fee was paid to APC Collection Account with Heritage Bank no. 5600007616. The bank has notified the APC that it had received a N100m from Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.
It read, “We write to confirm that your subject account has been credited with the sum of N30,000,000.00 (Thirty Million Naira Only) being Expression of Interest form for Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for Presidency.
“Please take this as a credit advice of the transaction in this regard.”
In a letter obtained by Punch news, the bank also informed APC of receiving N70m for the ex-president nomination form.
Meanwhile, Reno Omokri, an ex-aide to Jonathan, has reacted to the news of his former boss’s acceptance of the APC presidential form.
Omokri, an ardent critic of the APC, had sworn never to join the ruling party. However, many have called him a hypocrite after Jonathan’s “invisible” defection.
In his reaction via his Twitter page on Monday evening, Omokri said, “First of all, to whet your appetite, let me say that under the rain and under the sun, I will follow Jonathan. Secondly, I can never be one with APC. Thirdly, nobody can shave HE@GEJonathan’shead in his absence. Read between the lines. More to come!”
Jonathan Is not aware and did not authorize the purchase – Jonathan’s camp reacts
A statement from his media aide Ikechukwu Eze has immediately dismissed the alleged purchase, saying “Jonathan was not aware of this bid and did not authorize it.”
The unverified statement from his aide added “If the former President wanted to contest an election, he would make his intentions clear to the public and will not enter through the back door.”
Mr Eze also said that his boss had not in anyway, committed himself to the request. He added “Buying a presidential aspiration form in the name of Dr Jonathan without his consent, knowing the position he had held in this country, is considered an insult to his person.”
He advised the general public to disregard the report.©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.