Nigeria President Muhammadu Buhari has sent a strong warning to rabble rousers.
The President said he had been briefed on the “attacks on critical national infrastructure”, adding that those behind the attacks “want this administration to fail.”.
Buhari warned that those behind the destruction would soon have the “shock of their lives,” saying, “we’ve given them enough time.”
The statement is coming on the heels of constant and increasing attacks in the South East of Nigeria.
Buhari said, “I received a briefing today from the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on the series of attacks on their facilities nationwide.”
On May 30, the news of the death of Ahmed Gulak, a former aide to President Goodluck Jonathan, shocked the country.
The All Progressives Congress member was traced, identified and shot by some gunmen on his way to the airport.
Over the weeks, there had been series of attacks on police stations, the ambush of travellers and the killing of security officials.
Mr Buhari described the attacks as “totally unacceptable”, vowing not to allow those behind it to “achieve their evil objectives.”
“I have assured INEC that we will make available to them everything they need to operate efficiently so that no one will say we don’t want to go or that we want a third term. There will be no excuse for failure. We will meet all of INEC’s demands,” Buhari said in a statement on Tuesday.
The President relies on the new Inspector-General of police and the Chief of Army Staff to confront the security challenges.
He said, “There must be zero tolerance for all those bent on destroying our country by promoting crime and insurrection!
The President vowed to treat “them in the language they understand” as those calling for war today “are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives during the Nigerian Civil War.
“Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War.
“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand,” the President concluded.©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.