Kenya is expected to host a delegation of World Athletics next month ahead of the World Junior event on August 17-22.
Athletics Kenya (AK) President Jackson Tuwei said the officials would assess Kenya’s readiness to host the World Under-20 championships.
“As you know we are preparing to host the World Under-20 Championships and as we headed to Poland we had a series of meetings with delegates from World Athletics. From the talks they also agreed to visit Kenya next month to assess our readiness for the event,” said Tuwei.
Kenya also revealed there are ongoing talks with a host of countries to convince them to grace the event despite the ravaging Covid-19 pandemic.
“Covid-19 has caused a lot of havoc globally and like in Poland most countries withdrew from the championships and we don’t want that to happen to us. We have therefore decided to talk to other countries and we have already started engaging them because we want to have big numbers come to Nairobi for World Under-20,” added Tuwei.
So far, Australia and New Zealand have withdrawn from the biannual showpiece citing health and security issues.
“There is a heightened risk of terrorism throughout Kenya at present, including an ongoing threat based on credible information indicating that Westerners may be targeted by extremists in the Nairobi area. The NZ Consulate in Kenya has advised Athletics NZ against hiring a security escort for our team as, according to their expertise, the presence of security details can make a group stand out and therefore become a potential target,” read part of the statement from Athletics New Zealand.