Reprieve for drought-stricken communities in Kenya after the government flagged off foodstuff, including animal feeds.
The food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and European Union (EU) also contributed $3.8 million and 5 million to cushion Kenyans against drought.
Carla Mucavi, FAO Representative in Kenya, stated that over 2.1 million Kenyans are food insecure and pledged FAO’s continued support to the government.
“We acquired 32,000 sacks of livestock fodder simply to support pastoralist communities in the worst impacted counties with resources we were able to raise internally and the support we received from developing partners,” said Carla Mucavi.
While flagging off the distribution, Devolution Cabinet Secretary Eugine Wamalwa said ten counties are the worst affected, and five are in the alarm stage.
“This means that the drought is worsening with time. One of the biggest challenges these Counties are facing is lack of water because of failure of short rains in October to December last year and long rains in March to May. We have no water in most of these areas for the animals and residents,” said CS Wamalwa.
Following a meeting between President Kenyatta and leaders from Kenya’s Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL) on September 8, the government proclaimed the drought that is destroying portions of the country a national disaster.
Drought was in 29 counties designated as ASAL zones, where food insecurity has arisen in recent months due to inconsistency in rainfall.©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.