The council of Governors has put off the Annual Devolution conference that was slated for August 23-August 26, 2021.
In a statement on Thursday, the Council of Governors Chair Governor Martin Wambora said the postponement was triggered by the extension of the ban on public gatherings and in-person meetings.
“The steering committee of the 7th and final Annual Devolution Conference hereby notifies members of the public on the inevitable postponement of the Devolution Conference. This is premised on the Presidential directive suspending all gatherings and in-person meetings,” said Governor Wambora.
The council said the new dates of the conference will be communicated in the coming days.
The conference was scheduled to take place in Makueni, Kenya’s southeastern.
Through a statement sent to media houses on Wednesday, President Uhuru Kenyatta banned all public gatherings for the next 60 days as Covid-19 cases rise in the country.
Kenyatta also extended the dusk to dawn curfew for the same number of days. The curfew begins at 10 pm and culminates at 4 am.
“In particular, 18 counties have recorded a positivity rate above 20 per cent, and over the last week, the following counties have recorded a positivity rate of above 30 per cent: Kiambu, Nyandarua, Murang’a, Makueni, Machakos, Baringo, Meru, and Nyeri,” said Kenyatta.©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.