Ealing: Police arrest second man over death of Polish woman

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Detectives investigating the murder of a Polish national in Ealing have made a second arrest.

The second suspect, a 29-year-old man, was arrested on Tuesday morning.

Ania Jedrkowiak, 21, was found with stab wounds in an alleyway off Church Gardens, South Ealing, shortly after midnight.

She was pronounced dead at the scene, despite the efforts of the emergency services.

Homicide detectives immediately launched a murder investigation and are being led by Met's Specialist Crime Command.

Ania Jedrkowiak was murdered in an alleyway off Church Gardens, South Ealing
Ania Jedrkowiak was murdered in an alleyway off Church Gardens, South Ealing.

Her family have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

The police first arrested a 20-year-old man on suspicion of murder and were released with no further action.

A 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder has been released with no further action.

On 17 May, detectives arrested a 29-year-old man on suspicion of murder, and he remained in custody.

Detective Chief Inspector Brian Howie, who is leading the investigation, said: "We have now made a second arrest, which we believe is a very significant one in this investigation. The victim and suspect were known to each other.

"We are examining CCTV and speaking to any witnesses who have come forward. However, we are always keen to hear from anyone else who has not yet spoken to us but who thinks they may have seen or heard anything, no matter how small, that could help.

"In particular, we would urge anyone who lives or was travelling in the area of South Ealing Road, between 11.15 pm on Monday, 16 May and 1 am the next day, or anyone who has CCTV or a doorbell camera, or a dashcam, to check it for anything that appears out of the ordinary."

Chief Superintendent Sean Wilson, who is in charge of policing for west London, including Ealing, said:"This is a tragic incident that I know has come as a shock to the local community.

"Officers remain at the scene as our searches and forensic examinations continue. We will also have additional visible patrols in the local area tonight and in the coming days.

"We are grateful to those who live and work nearby for their support and understanding as we continue our work. We recognise the inconvenience it has caused.

"Where possible, we have taken steps to allow businesses and other venues such as the local church to reopen as soon as our investigation allowed.

"I am particularly mindful of the proximity of this incident to a local school – something which meant the school had to remain closed on Tuesday.

"I know parents will be apprehensive, and I'd like to reassure them that we are working with the school to make sure children can continue their learning with minimal disruption. We anticipate it will be able to reopen on Wednesday morning.

"If anyone in the community has concerns, I would encourage them to speak to an officer, contact their neighbourhood policing team or call the non-emergency number on 101."

©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Translate »