Man dies after gunshot incident in Walthamstow

Reading Time: 3 minutes
  • Police arrest second man suffering from stab wounds as murder investigation launched.

A man in his late 20s has died after a shooting in Waltham Forest.

Police were called to the scene at around 00:35hrs on Sunday, 24 July, after a shot fire in Cheney Row Park off Durban Road, E17.

Two men were self-admitted to an East London hospital a short time later.

A 28-year-old man, admitted for gunshot injuries, died a short time later despite the effort, and the second man in his 30s was discharged, having suffered stab injuries.

Detectives have informed the deceased families and are being supported by socialist officers.

A post-mortem examination and formal identification will be arranged in due course.

Police said the second man in his 30s has been arrested in connection with the incident and is currently in custody at the London police station.

Murder investigation launched after man shot in Enfield two years ago dies in hospital
London Police

DCI Kelly Allen of Specialist Crime leads the Met’s murder investigation. DCI Allen said: “My heart goes out to the family of the man who has lost his life in this reckless act of violence. I can assure them of my total dedication and that of my team to ensure they get justice.

“I believe there were 50 to 100 people gathered in and around Cheney Row Park at the time of the shooting with music playing. I urgently need to speak with everyone at that event – even if you do not believe you saw anything significant, you need to come forward and speak with officers.

“There will have been footage and images captured at the event, and we need to see these. Please ensure that all such material is saved – we will provide a link for it to be uploaded shortly.

“To anyone considering whether or not to come forward to the police, I ask you to put yourself in the position of the victim’s grieving mother and father this morning. They deserve answers.

“And whoever took a gun to a gathering like this does not deserve your protection, nor do they deserve to be free to inflict further harm on others. Please do the right thing and make contact today.”

Chief Superintendent Simon Crick, who leads policing in Waltham Forest, said: “This is a tragic incident and a senseless loss of life. My thoughts and prayers are with the victim’s family at this very difficult time.

“I also understand the concerns this incident will cause within the local community.

“I want to reassure residents that local officers will be on duty to offer reassurance and a visible presence. Your officers will be available to speak with you should you wish to raise any concerns you may have.”

Anyone with information or who witnessed the incident is advised to call the police on 101, quoting reference 267/24jul.

A witness can also anonymously talk to an independent charity, Crimestopper, on 0800 555 111.

©Standard Gazette, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s publisher is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Standard Gazette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Translate »