Email: [email protected]
A man who went on knifing rampage in Edmonton Green last Spring has been sentenced to a hospital order with restriction.
Jason Kakaire, 31, from Cameron Close, N18 approached and stabbed five strangers in the back, with one victim being left permanently paralyzed in March and April 2019.
Kakaire was sentenced on Friday 25 September at the Old Bailey after previously pleading guilty to five counts of grievous bodily harm and five counts of possession of an offensive weapon.
Detective Chief Inspector Cris Soole who led the investigation said Kakaire took a significant amount of time to “admit these offences” and never “offered any real explanation for why he acted in this way.”.
Kakaire first struck on Aberdeen Road, N18 on Saturday, 30 March 2019 at around 19:00hrs.
He had walked past the victim in her 40s, before turning back and stabbing her in the back with so much force that the handle of the knife snapped off which was later removed surgically.
She spent several months in hospital and has been left wheelchair-bound.
In her victim impact statement read to the court, the first victim said “
The physical and mental injuries have totally changed my life and will do so forevermore. It is not only the impact on me but that of my family.
“The knife attack has left me paralysed with the inability to walk. I will never walk again. It has left me with trembling in my hands and arms and I am in constant pain.
“As a result of the stabbing, I also suffer from tremendous psychological issues. When I go out I panic, I suffer from panic attacks. I always want someone I know behind me so that I know I am safe.
“My husband has heard me many times to shout out “He’s coming, I am scared”. All the time I feel that it could happen again, that I could be out in the street and that the same person who did this to me will attack me again. I cannot get these thoughts out of my head. They dictate my life.”
Kakaire found his second victim a few hours later after knifing his first female victim.
He had spent a few hours walking the street where he stopped at Tesco on Fore Street before returning to his flat.
At around 23:50hrs, he met a man in his 50s who had left Pymmes Parkin Edmonton walking into Park Avenue.
He was chased by Kakaire who stabbed him once in the lower back before running away from the scene.
According to the investigation, the victim crawled to a nearby house where the occupants called the emergency services who later took him to the hospital where he was told to have suffered a vertebrae fracture.
Not done, three hours later, Kakaire was back on the street looking for his next victim. This time, he made his way to Fore Street around 03:15hrs on Sunday 31 March where he approached and stabbed a man in his 20s.
Again, the victim managed to find his way to Seven Sisters station where he found help who took him to the hospital. He suffered significant internal bleeding.
A few hours later, at about 09:45, his fourth victim – a man in his 20s said he noticed he was being followed by a man as he walked down Lansfield Avenue.
He increased his walking pace but was caught up by Kakaire who stabbed him, again, in the back.
He was supported by members of the public, including an off-duty GP until paramedics arrived and was taken to the nearest hospital.
The doctor said the knife had penetrated his lungs and caused damage to his diaphragm and liver.
This time, the police have intensified investigation to locate the suspect but Kakaire remained at large.
Again, on 2 April, he went in search of his fifth victim, this time, he found a man in his 30s who had left home at around 05:00hrs to buy some medication for his child.
Kakaire followed him into Fairfield Road where he stabbed him from behind, causing a collapsed lung and further organ damage.
The attacker fled the scene and made his way home. He was later spotted around 10:10hrs by an officer who had recognized him from the description circulated as he made his way past Edmonton Green.
Upon his arrest, his clothing was reportedly covered in blood which was later known to be of his fourth victim’s.
Detectives also discovered that an orange knife removed from the first victim’s body was sold as part of a set, including two other knives.
The rest of the knives, detectives said, were later found at Kakaire’s home address, while the orange one was missing. He was later charged and remanded in custody.
Kakaire’s second victim, a man in his 20s said in his impact statements to the court that “I am scared to meet with people ever since this attack. I do not go out of my house much, as I am fearful that I will suffer another similar attack. I have a big problem with sleeping. I do not sleep for more than 30 or 40 minutes. I have nightmares.
“I forget quite a lot of things. My memory has been affected very badly after the assault. I have become someone who is scared of his own shadow when I go out.”
The other three who also provided their impact statements to the court said they were now afraid to go outside alone at night following the attacks.
Chief Inspector Chris Soole said “These five random attacks were completely unprovoked and caused significant harm to each and every victim.
“The force used was brutal and it is only by sheer luck that all five victims survived.
“These stabbings have had a huge impact on their lives, both physically and mentally, and understandably left a community in fear for a number of days.
” I have no doubt he is a dangerous offender and my investigation team and I are pleased he is no longer on our streets.”
On sentencing, the judge said he had inflicted a “reign of terror” and that the harm he had caused to the victims and their families was immeasurable.
The judge sentenced him to a “hospital order with restriction”, usually for people with a mental health problem.